Thursday 10 September 2009

Rudely awoken

The crossing during the night was quite smooth, but by the morning there was a distinct swell and I could feel my body getting lighter then heavier on the mattress as the boat rode the oceanic rollercoaster.

With little to do on board I decided a lie in was in order. I do appreciate that many of you think my life is one big lie in nowadays and in part I'd have to agree with you. However, today's lie in was rudely interrupted by a steward who seemed eager to talk to me.

I explained that neither the cabin or I needed any form of servicing and waved him on his way. Within 30 seconds his master key was once again opening my door this time to leave a small note on a dresser table.

It asked me to report to reception, so I continued my shnoozing. When I eventually roused myself and went to reception they wanted to confirm that I was on a mini-cruise. This is where you sail from Portsmouth to Bilbao, get off for an hour and then sail back again. I shuddered at the thought and told them they were mistaken.

I shouldn't dis the Pride of Bilbao too much though. The prices are reasonable given that they have a captive audience and there's a good selection of films at the cinemas and food in the various restaurants.

After some reading and taking in Night at the Museum 2 I ate before seeing England secure their place in the World Cup next year whilst supping a couple of ales.

Tomorrow there'll be no lie in. The ship docks at 8am local time and i've got somewhere around 450 miles to do to get to Cordoba. Sat Nav don't fail me now!

No comments:

Post a Comment